My clients often come to me looking for accountability. They know what they need to do to improve their health but can’t seem to stick to the program. This is not unusual. I remind them that change is not a linear process. It takes time to establish consistency. There are ups and downs but with the right motivation, you will get there.
So, as the end of 2017 draws to a close, take some time to assess all of the progress you’ve made regarding your health during the past 12 months and make a short list of achievements and disappointments. Then consider the following 10 truths about achieving lasting change:
1. Initially, the change you seek will seem impossible, but nothing is impossible.
2. The best way to not be cowered by fear of the unknown is to step toward more unknowns. Think of a particular skill as a muscle. To achieve the right tone, you establish a schedule, warm it up, work it out and watch it grow.
3. Have a clear vision of what change you seek, why you are seeking it and push forward through uncertainty.
4. Welcome into your life the people who believe in your vision and have the ability to help you attain it. Their support and accountability are what you need until the change you are seeking becomes a new habit.
5. Failure is not an option. Stick to your schedule even though you may stumble from time to time and always follow through.
6. Remind yourself that yes, you can do this, even if you have failed many times before.
7. Surround yourself with positive energy (your thoughts, your relationships, etc.). Think of these things as a magnet because that is exactly what they are.
8. Remember that consistent small steps lead to big gains. The key is to simplify a complicated task into small steps.
9. A rested mind is a productive mind. Sleep well and fully each night. Guard fiercely this valuable, necessary time. It may involve saying no, it may involve a shift in your daily routine, but in so doing, you cultivate a more enjoyable and productive day.
10. Being denied what you desire is often a test to see how sincerely you wish to attain it. Find reassurance in your decision to succeed.
Remember, you have set out on a worthy path. There will be disappointments along the way but they are fleeting. Stay resolute. Stay determined. You will be amazed at what you can do if you stick with your plan, and chances are the goal you seek will be achieved when you aren’t expecting it.
So be ready. The change you seek is possible even if the journey to get there doesn’t always make sense. Become a member of a courageous minority who know change is a journey that reaps huge benefits, not the least of which is contentment