Have you been told you might be at risk for getting diabetes but don’t think it will happen to you?
If you get diabetes this is what your life could look like:
- High risk for having a heart attack or stroke.
- Having high blood pressure or hypertension which can lead to blood clots.
- A risk of developing glaucoma and other eye complications to include blindness.
- Nerve damage & reduced blood flow to the feet. This could result in having a foot or leg amputated.
- Kidney disease.
- Cuts and scrapes that do not heal effectively and can lead to serious infection.
The warning signs for getting diabetes are:
- Being 45 years of age or older.
- Being overweight.
- Exercising fewer than three times a week.
- Having a family history of type 2 diabetes.
- Having a history of gestational diabetes.
To find out if you are at risk for Diabetes, click here to take the Type 2 Diabetes Risk Assessment.
Want to stop this from happening to you?
There is a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recognized lifestyle change program that can prevent or delay Type 2 Diabetes. In this program, you’ll learn, laugh, share stories, try new things, and build new habits—all while lowering your risk of type 2 diabetes and improving your overall health.
This is a 16-week program, with regular follow-ups sessions for up to one year. Program meetings will be held at 14 Lockwood Drive ( The Ashley House community room) in downtown Charleston with free parking. Key components of the program include:
- CDC-approved curriculum with lessons, handouts, and other resources to help you make healthy changes.
- Lifestyle coach Lisa Burbage, specially trained to lead the program will help you learn new skills, encourage you to set and meet goals and keep you motivated. Lisa will also facilitate discussions and help make the program fun and engaging.
- A support group of people with similar goals and challenges. Together, you can share ideas, celebrate successes, and work to overcome obstacles. In the process, you will make new friends. It’s easier to make changes when you’re working as a group than doing it on your own.
To find out about our next start date, click to email Lisa Burbage or call 843-718-2981.