A healthy diet for a 50-year-old woman who needs about 1500 calories per day could include the following:
- Breakfast: 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1/2 cup of blueberries and 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, or 1 whole grain toast with 2 eggs, 1 slice of avocado, and 1 small apple.
- Morning snack: 1/2 cup of hummus with 1 cup of sliced vegetables, or 1 small banana with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.
- Lunch: 1/2 cup of quinoa with 1 cup of roasted vegetables and 4 ounces of grilled chicken, or 1 small whole grain wrap with 3 ounces of turkey, lettuce, tomato, and 1/2 an avocado.
- Afternoon snack: 1/2 cup of unsalted mixed nuts, or 1 small apple with 1 ounce of cheese.
- Dinner: 4 ounces of baked salmon with 1 cup of roasted vegetables and 1/2 cup of quinoa, or 1 cup of lentil soup with 1 small whole grain roll and 1 cup of mixed greens.
It is important to include a variety of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins in your diet, as well as to choose foods that are low in added sugars and unhealthy fats. It is also important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water throughout the day. It is always a good idea to speak with a healthcare professional or a registered dietitian for personalized nutrition advice.
If you find that 1500 calories is cutting it really short and making you feel lethargic, a healthy 2000 calorie diet for a women in her 50s would be as follows:
- Breakfast: 1/2 cup of oatmeal with 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1/4 cup of sliced almonds, and 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk, or 1 whole grain waffle with 1/4 cup of mixed berries and 2 tablespoons of peanut butter.
- Morning snack: 1 small apple with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, or 1/2 cup of unsalted mixed nuts.
- Lunch: 1 small whole grain wrap with 3 ounces of grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato, and 1/2 an avocado, or 1 cup of brown rice with 4 ounces of tofu, 1 cup of steamed vegetables, and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce.
- Afternoon snack: 1 small Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of mixed berries, or 1 small smoothie made with 1/2 cup of frozen berries, 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, and 1 scoop of protein powder.
- Dinner: 4 ounces of baked salmon with 1 cup of roasted vegetables and 1/2 cup of quinoa, or 1 small baked sweet potato with 4 ounces of roasted turkey and 1 cup of steamed broccoli.
- Dessert: 1 small piece of dark chocolate, or 1/2 cup of frozen yogurt.