As you age, your skin changes and so do your skincare needs. You may notice more wrinkles, sagging, dryness, or uneven tone. But don’t worry, there are ways to keep your skin looking youthful and radiant even after 50. Here are some of the best anti-aging tips for women over 50 that you can follow to maintain a healthy and beautiful complexion.
You should always start your morning and nighttime skincare routines by gently cleansing your skin. This will remove dirt, oil, makeup, and pollutants that can clog your pores and cause dullness. Choose a mild cleanser that suits your skin type and avoid harsh soaps or scrubs that can strip your skin of its natural oils. You can also use a cleansing brush or device to enhance the cleansing effect and exfoliate your skin1.
Getting rid of dead skin cells to reveal the fresher skin underneath becomes even more important as you age. Exfoliating can improve your skin texture, brightness, and absorption of skincare products. You can use a chemical exfoliant such as an alpha-hydroxy acid (AHA) or beta-hydroxy acid (BHA) product once or twice a week to gently dissolve the bonds between dead cells. Alternatively, you can use a physical exfoliant such as a scrub or a peel-off mask once a week to manually slough off the dead cells1.
Use a Day Moisturizer with SPF
One of the most essential steps in any anti-aging skincare routine is moisturizing. Moisturizing can hydrate your skin, plump up fine lines, and prevent further water loss. You should use a moisturizer that suits your skin type and contains ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, ceramides, peptides, or antioxidants that can boost your skin’s elasticity and firmness1. Moreover, you should always apply a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 every day to protect your skin from sun damage which is one of the main causes of premature aging2. You can also look for a moisturizer that has SPF built-in for convenience.
Choose Skincare Products with Retinol
Retinol is one of the most effective anti-aging ingredients that you can find in skincare products. Retinol is a form of vitamin A that can stimulate collagen production, reduce wrinkles, improve pigmentation, and smooth out rough patches1. However, retinol can also make your skin more sensitive to the sun and cause irritation, peeling, or redness if used too much or too often. Therefore, you should start with a low concentration of retinol and apply it only at night every other day until your skin gets used to it. You should also apply moisturizer after retinol to prevent dryness.
Rejuvenate with a Retinol Night Serum or Cream
Another way to incorporate retinol into your skincare routine is by using a night serum or cream that contains retinol along with other nourishing ingredients such as niacinamide, vitamin C, or antioxidants. A night serum or cream can penetrate deeper into your skin while you sleep and deliver more potent anti-aging benefits than a daytime product. You should apply it after cleansing and before moisturizing at night1.
Treat the Surrounding Areas
Don’t forget about the areas around your eyes, lips, and neck when it comes to anti-aging skincare. These areas tend to show signs of aging sooner than others because they have thinner and more delicate skin than the rest of your face. You should use specific products designed for these areas such as eye creams, lip balms, or neck creams that can hydrate, firm, and smooth out these areas1. You should also be gentle when applying these products and avoid tugging or pulling on your skin.
Fill Up on Antioxidants
Skincare products are not enough to fight aging; you also need to nourish your body from within by eating foods rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants are substances that can protect your cells from free radical damage which is one of the main causes of aging. Some examples of antioxidants are vitamin C, vitamin E, and beta-carotene which are found in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains3. You should aim to eat at least five servings of fruits and vegetables a day and choose a variety of colors to get a range of antioxidants.
Drink Less Alcohol
Alcohol can dehydrate your skin and make it look dull and dry. It can also cause inflammation, oxidative stress, and damage to your collagen and elastin fibers which are responsible for keeping your skin firm and elastic. Moreover, alcohol can interfere with your sleep quality which can affect your skin’s ability to repair itself at night. Therefore, you should limit your alcohol intake to no more than one drink a day for women and two drinks a day for men.
Exercise is not only good for your overall health but also for your skin. Exercise can improve your blood circulation which can deliver more oxygen and nutrients to your skin cells. It can also help you sweat out toxins and impurities that can clog your pores and cause breakouts. Furthermore, exercise can reduce stress which can trigger inflammation and aging in your skin. You should aim to do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise per week.
While eating a balanced diet is the best way to get all the nutrients you need for healthy aging, you may also benefit from taking some supplements that can support your skin health. Some of the supplements that may have anti-aging effects are:
- Collagen: Collagen is the most abundant protein in your skin that gives it structure and elasticity. As you age, your collagen production declines which leads to wrinkles and sagging. Taking collagen supplements may help replenish your collagen levels and improve your skin appearance.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10): CoQ10 is an antioxidant that helps protect your cells from free radical damage and supports energy production. As you age, your CoQ10 levels decrease which may affect your skin health. Taking CoQ10 supplements may help boost your CoQ10 levels and reduce signs of aging such as wrinkles, dryness, and loss of firmness.
- Resveratrol: Resveratrol is a polyphenol found in red wine, grapes, berries, and peanuts that has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-aging properties. Resveratrol may help activate certain genes that regulate longevity and protect your cells from oxidative stress. Taking resveratrol supplements may help improve your skin elasticity, hydration, and smoothness.
However, before taking any supplements, you should consult with your doctor first to make sure they are safe and suitable for you.
Aging is inevitable but it doesn’t mean you have to look older than you feel. By following these tips, you can keep your skin looking youthful and radiant even after 50:
- Cleanse daily with a mild cleanser
- Exfoliate once or twice a week with a chemical or physical exfoliant
- Use a day moisturizer with SPF 30 or higher every day
- Choose skincare products with retinol for night use
- Rejuvenate with a retinol night serum or cream
- Treat the surrounding areas around your eyes, lips, and neck with specific products
- Fill up on antioxidants by eating fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Drink less alcohol to avoid dehydration and inflammation
- Exercise regularly to improve blood circulation and reduce stress
- Supplement wisely with collagen, CoQ10, or resveratrol after consulting with your doctor
If you want some product recommendations from Amazon that can help you achieve these tips, here are some suggestions:
- CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser: This gentle cleanser can remove dirt, oil, and makeup without stripping your skin of its natural moisture. It also contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid that can hydrate and restore your skin barrier. You can use it twice a day to cleanse your face and neck.
- Paula’s Choice Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Liquid Exfoliant: This chemical exfoliant can unclog pores, smooth out wrinkles, and brighten your complexion. It contains salicylic acid which is a BHA that can penetrate deep into your pores and dissolve dead skin cells. You can use it once or twice a week after cleansing and before moisturizing.
- Olay Regenerist Micro-Sculpting Cream with Sunscreen SPF 30: This moisturizer can hydrate, firm, and protect your skin from sun damage. It contains peptides, niacinamide, vitamin E, and antioxidants that can boost your collagen production and reduce signs of aging. You can apply it every morning as the last step of your skincare routine.
- Neutrogena Rapid Wrinkle Repair Retinol Cream: This cream can smooth out wrinkles, even out your skin tone, and improve your skin texture. It contains retinol which is a form of vitamin A that can stimulate collagen production and reduce pigmentation. You can apply it every night after cleansing and before moisturizing.
- RoC Retinol Correxion Deep Wrinkle Facial Serum: This serum can deliver a higher concentration of retinol to your skin than a cream and penetrate deeper into your skin layers. It can reduce deep wrinkles, fine lines, and crow’s feet in as little as four weeks. You can apply it every night after cleansing and before moisturizing or using a cream.
- Olay Eyes Ultimate Eye Cream: This eye cream can hydrate, brighten, and smooth out the area around your eyes. It contains peptides, vitamin B3, and pigments that can reduce dark circles, puffiness, and wrinkles. You can dab it gently around your eyes every morning and night after applying your serum or cream.
- Jack Black Intense Therapy Lip Balm SPF 25: This lip balm can moisturize, protect, and heal your lips from dryness and cracking. It contains shea butter, avocado oil, vitamin E, and green tea extract that can nourish and soothe your lips. It also contains SPF 25 that can shield your lips from sun damage. You can apply it as often as needed throughout the day.
- StriVectin TL Advanced Tightening Neck Cream Plus: This neck cream can firm, lift, and smooth out the skin on your neck and décolleté. It contains a patented NIA-114 technology that can strengthen your skin barrier and prevent sagging. It also contains a Gravitite-CF Lifting Complex that can restore your skin’s elasticity and contour. You can massage it onto your neck and décolleté every morning and night after applying your moisturizer.
- Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides Powder Supplement: This supplement can provide you with hydrolyzed collagen peptides that can support your skin health and appearance. Collagen peptides are easily absorbed by your body and can stimulate your own collagen production. They can also improve your skin hydration, elasticity, and smoothness. You can mix one to two scoops of this powder with water, coffee, juice, or smoothie every day.
- Qunol Ultra CoQ10 100mg Softgels: This supplement can provide you with CoQ10 that can protect your cells from free radical damage and support energy production. CoQ10 is especially important for your heart health and skin health as they both require a lot of energy and antioxidants. Taking CoQ10 supplements may help boost your CoQ10 levels and reduce signs of aging such as wrinkles, dryness, and loss of firmness. You can take one softgel daily with food.
- Purely Beneficial Resveratrol 1450mg Capsules: This supplement can provide you with resveratrol that has anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and anti-aging properties. Resveratrol may help activate certain genes that regulate longevity and protect your cells from oxidative stress. Taking resveratrol supplements may help improve your skin elasticity, hydration, and smoothness. You can take two capsules daily preferably with meals.
If you have any questions or feedback, please leave them in the comments section below. Thank you for reading! 😊